As of March 8, 2023, the world’s wealthiest individuals continue to witness remarkable growth in their fortunes, further exacerbating the wealth disparity between the rich and the poor. The top 10 richest people in the world boast a combined net worth exceeding $1 trillion.
Topping the list is Bernard Arnault, the chairman and CEO of LVMH Moët Hennessy – Louis Vuitton, a renowned luxury goods company. With a staggering net worth of $235.8 billion, Arnault holds the title of the richest person globally. Following closely is Elon Musk, the CEO of Tesla and SpaceX, whose net worth stands at $171.8 billion. Jeff Bezos, the former CEO of Amazon, secures the third position with a net worth of $132.8 billion.
The remaining members of the top 10 richest people in the world are as follows:
- Bill Gates, the co-founder of Microsoft, commands a net worth of $129.7 billion.
- Warren Buffett, the chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway, possesses a net worth of $118.4 billion.
- Larry Ellison, the chairman and CEO of Oracle, holds a net worth of $118.2 billion.
- Mukesh Ambani, the chairman of Reliance Industries, maintains a net worth of $107.5 billion.
- Mark Zuckerberg, the CEO of Meta Platforms, possesses a net worth of $106.9 billion.
- Steve Ballmer, the former CEO of Microsoft, boasts a net worth of $97.8 billion.
- Larry Page, the co-founder of Google, commands a net worth of $96.4 billion.
- Sergey Brin, the co-founder of Google, holds a net worth of $95.3 billion.
The combined wealth of these ten individuals exceeds the collective wealth of the bottom 50% of the world’s population. The growing wealth gap is a pressing issue that requires urgent attention to foster a more equitable world.
Here are some additional insights regarding the top 10 richest people in the world:
- Bernard Arnault is the first person to surpass a net worth of $200 billion.
- Elon Musk was the first individual to exceed a net worth of $100 billion in US dollars.
- Jeff Bezos has held the title of the world’s richest person for the past four years.
- Bill Gates has held the title of the world’s richest person for the longest duration, a remarkable 18 years.
- Warren Buffett is the eldest member among the top 10 richest people in the world.
- Mukesh Ambani stands as India’s wealthiest individual.
- Mark Zuckerberg is the youngest person among the top 10 richest individuals globally.
- Larry Page and Sergey Brin are the only individuals among the top 10 who do not possess billion-dollar fortunes individually. They share their wealth with their wives.
The top 10 richest people in the world represent an elite group whose immense wealth wields substantial influence and impact. Recognizing their power is crucial as we address the pressing need for a more equitable global society.